Michael’s family moved to Tucson in 1956 were he grew up spending his youth playing sports, exploring the desert, hiking in the mountains, and cleaning out Pete Martinez’s stables for extra money. Michael attended the U. of A. College of Fine Arts, later graduating with a degree in Landscape Architecture.
He co-founded a landscape architecture and planning firm, the largest in Arizona at the time, taught Design at the University’s School of Renewable Natural Resources, and later worked as a design consultant for major master planned projects in Arizona, Utah, California, and Mexico.
Throughout his professional career, Michael studied and practiced art, which is reflected in both his landscape architecture and his paintings. His local design projects include the first artificial cliffs along North Swan Road, Tucson Museum of Art Plaza of the Pioneers, Pima Canyon Estates, The Canyons, Dove Mountain and conceptual designs for the Aviation Corridor and Grant Road Improvements.
Michael’s southwestern upbringing and love of this unique land are seen clearly in his paintings. Michael has painted professionally since 1986, represented by El Presidio Gallery in Tucson, Karin Newby Gallery in Tubac, and galleries in Scottsdale, Santa Fe, and Laguna Beach. His work has been selected for the Mountain Oyster Club Western Art Show, the Empire Ranch Western Art Show, and the Tubac Art Festival Show.
- Canyon Narrows – 12″ x 24″ Oil on canvas – $400
- Hope Storm – 24″ x 30″ Oil on canvas – $600 framed, $500 without frame
- Three Amigos – 12″ x 24″ Oil on canvas – $350
- Mountains and Clouds – 16″ x 20″ Oil on masonite board – $350
- Trickster – 12″ x 12″ Oil on canvas board – $250
- Motley Crew – 10″ x 20″ Oil on canvas board – $300
- Bulls in the Yard – 12″ x 20″ Oil on canvas board – $400
- Mountain Lion Man (Kiva Painting) – 20″ x 16″ Oil on Canvas gallery wrapped w/gesso and sand finish $350
- Buffalo Dancers – 20″ x 16″ Oil on canvas gallery wrapped w/gesso and sand finish $350
- Ancient Warriors – 18″ x 24″ Oil on canvas gallery wrapped w/gesso and sand finish $350
- Walpi Storm – 24″ x 30″ Oil on canvas, framed $400
- Sunrise Glow – 14″ x 18″ Oil on canvas board $350
- Floating Down the Colorado – 12″ x 36″ Oil on Canvas gallery wrapped $450
- Cowboy Break – 20″ x 10″ Oil on canvas board $300
- Keeping an Eye on the Bulls – 12″ x 16″ Oil on canvas board $300
- Mountain Pass – 16″ x 20″ Oil on canvas, framed $400
- Buds – 11″ x 14″ Oil on canvas board, framed $350